Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Honesty

So much is going on in our community this week.

But I was particularly struck by something powerful in small group last night.  In a conversation that wound its way from Biblical parables to sin, grace, tithing, alcohol and everything in between, at one point somebody sucked it up and got really vulnerable.

They simply said, "Hey, I wanna be absolutely honest with you guys about something."

And they clarified a statement, explaining the entire truth about something they'd shared earlier.  

They told the last 10%.

They gave it all up, risking vulnerability and absolute honesty.

It was a small thing, really; nothing huge in the grand scheme of life.

But it was honest.  It was the truth.

Is there something you need to be honest about?  Is there some area of life where you're skirting full disclosure?  Are you holding back just enough to matter?

3 comments:

Karen Bonner said...

That is so awesome for that person! Vulnerability is very scary and requires complete trust. Kudos to your small group for allowing this person to feel safe enough to share. My goal is to one day be truly authentic; spiritually, emotionally, relationally etc.....that's why it's on my license plate. It's a constant reminder of what I aspire to be.

Terrace Crawford said...

I had a great time listening & learning from Mike. So glad you introduced yourself to me today.

--Terrace Crawford
http://www.terracecrawford.com
http://www.twitter.com/terracecrawford

Bill said...

I think I need to be blatenly honest about something....with SOMEBODY.....That somebody is you. I need an accountability partner..and I think it's going to be you! Talk later.....