Tuesday, November 27, 2012

My Daughter Is Not Jesus, And Other Ways Food Makes Me Goofy

Sweet potatoes and yukon golds, roasted in the oven.

Delicious and definitely on the "approved foods" list. I'm back to eating the right stuff after flinging myself off the wagon over Thanksgiving.

I ate, little bits of everything I wanted to taste. It was delicious. I really didn't overeat at all.

But I didn't eat the "good stuff". And I didn't feel well. I didn't necessarily feel badly, but sluggish. Bloated. Foggy. Slow.

Ugh.

And the sugary stuff sent me over the edge. My body is really sensitive to sugar.

Who knew? I was eating so much of the stuff, all day long, indulging every whim, that the pump was always primed. Now that I essentially eat no sugar at all, that little bit of pecan pie packed a powerful punch.

And here's what I noticed: the first bite led to the craving. Every hour, I wanted another taste. Another hit. It took a lot of self-control, all day Sunday, to break that habit. But by Monday, I was good and clean.

I feel better today. I continue to react strongly to caffeine; a slight re-introduction to morning coffee indicates that the boost I thought I was getting might actually be contributing to mild headaches and a lack of focus.

I couldn't talk today. I referred to my daughter Sydni as Jesus, in what seemed like a logically constructed sentence. Maybe caffeine makes me a little goofy.

Who knew?

I'm wearing pants that I haven't been able to fit in since last year. That feels good, but it's more like a great side effect. I've tried to keep that in mind: I'm not on a diet. I want to be healthy.

It makes a difference in my attitude. It makes it just a bit easier.

Have you detoxed from anything recently?

1 comment:

spookyrach said...

I'm impressed! I would really like to say I have detoxed from carbs and fast food, but it is not the case.

I did give up cokes, though. That counts.

Still laughing about Jesus-kid.