Friday, July 31, 2009

Is This Weird?

Some random bits and pieces:

~~Our staff went through a one-day retreat and discusses our strengths according to this book. I found it fascinating on a personal level - I learned a lot about myself and have been a bit more self-aware as I interact with others (I'm an ACTIVATOR and a MOTIVATOR, among other things...) It was extremely valuable for our staff, and I think it's given us some great tools to understand and respect one another's working styles and natural gifts. This was a win for us, and I recommend it to anyone working with teams. Good stuff.

~~Syd's birthday party: WIN. Great friends, easy to entertain, NO trouble whatsoever, and lots of love in the room. Had some great conversations with some very special people.

~~I finished this book earlier this week. It tore me to shreds; not because it was sad or depressing - it wasn't, although it was intense and full of sorrow - but because it was so well-written, so incredibly deep, so real... That's John Irving for you. I could hardly bear to close the cover. Seems like the older I get, the more dangerous it becomes for me to read a well-written book or watch a well-done movie. I get so sucked into the story that it alters my reality somewhat. Is that weird? Art like that - with a deep story - goes so deeply into my soul that it impacts my 'real life'. Again, I ask: Is that weird? I don't know. Weird or not, it was a brilliant story.

~~Looking forward to the next three weeks. They will contain some intense activity, a two-day test of my capacity for extroversion and lots of people, all day long - and after that, some time to breathe.

Glad to be hear, in this moment, right now. It's a brilliant story.

Here's a great photo for you, of an amazing young man who continues to grow and mature in a way that brings a smile to my face and peace to my heart. I love my kids. Oh, and props to Maida Vale Music for the awesome and artistic clothing...

2 comments:

Hope said...

My husband has had some exposure to Marcus Buckingham's ideas at work as well....it always gives him food for thought.

Have a great weekend - August already!

JulieS said...

If a story being able to deeply affect you is weird, then in my caae, I guess it is "it takes one to know one." - I may have to get the book on strengths, I seem to mostly focus on my weaknesses. Great review,Beth, I think I am going to order it now.