Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Slow Sensible Talk

Garrison Keillor is one of my all-time favorites. I want to say "favorite author", but it's more than his writing. I could say "favorite entertainer", but that seems so simplistic. After A Prairie Home Companion, I don't feel entertained - I feel at peace.

I'd like to say that he's one of my all-time favorite people, but I don't really know him. So that doesn't seem right.

Regardless, he's special to me. And when I read this today, I paid attention.
Back in the day, you glanced at a couple newspapers and a handful of magazines and that was it, your duty was done, you had the evening free to sit on the porch and jiggle the ice in your glass and talk slow sensible talk with the friends and neighbors. But now, if you dare open your computer and go online, you are swept away into a vortex of surf and whirled around and around and when you finally gather the will to click Disconnect, you find that hours have passed. Weeks, perhaps. And you can't remember a bit of it.
Made me think.

Read his entire article here.

No comments: