Friday, January 16, 2009

God Can Do Anything, You Know...

I had a phone call early (for me, anyway) this morning.  It was a friend who wanted to share something from the Bible that she felt was really pertinent to our church right now.  

It's a scripture verse I've read before, but in light of the week's events and the undercurrent of electricity and anticipation that I feel about our the future, it spoke powerfully to me today.

"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen."

My friend emphasized the part about glory in the church and encouraged me to seize that.  

It's resonated in my head and heart all morning.  I sought out that verse in The Message, knowing that Peterson always gives a slightly different slant to the words of scripture that ALWAYS prompts me to think and often touches me deeply.  Here's his take:

"God can do anything, you know—far more than you could ever imagine or guess or request in your wildest dreams! He does it not by pushing us around but by working within us, his Spirit deeply and gently within us.

Glory to God in the church!
Glory to God in the Messiah, in Jesus!
Glory down all the generations!
Glory through all millennia! Oh, yes!"

I'm keeping that close to my heart today, this practical voicing of an immense idea:  God can do anything, you know...

Oh, yeah.

It makes me wonder what's going on, what he's working within you, deeply and gently, to create something that you can't even imagine.  It's happening in many of us.  It's happening in our church.

Oh, yeah.  

What's he doing in you?

Scriptures from Ephesians 3

3 comments:

Perky Gramma Teaches said...

Thanks for sharing that.
I am blessed to always have a heart full of expectation of what is happening. Trust me, it's not me, it's from God!
I wake up each day, excited to see what God is going to do...

Kelley said...

love you toooo much...

annie said...

I know He is doing something!! And I like it!! And I am grateful, so grateful!