Sunday, February 15, 2009

Sunday Setlist 2.15.08


This was the second week in our You Can't Handle the Truth series.  The title was Love Lockdown; but we didn't pull out any Kanye West.  Great song, though...

The band jam prior to 10B4 was When Love Comes to Town by U2 and B.B. King.  Almost sacrilige to cover something so amazing, but we did.  It was really, really fun.  I loved doing the research on the tune - watching the youtube video - and hearing B.B. King tell Bono, "I don't do so good playing chords."

After 10B4 (our announcement video - available on our website), we kicked off the service.
Because of Your Love - Paul Baloche.  This was new for us - easy to learn, easy to sing.  Lots of fun with the "yeahs".
Everlasting God - Brenton Brown and Ken Riley.  We did this a bit faster than Mr. Tomlin.  I love it with some "oomph"!
OTaste and See - Brian and Jenn Johnson.  I love doing this song with Gina.  One of my favorite verses, I really enjoy this as a worship song.

We broke for a welcome and comments, prayed for the offering and then continued with Your Love Is Extravagant by Darrell Evans.  It was nicely unplugged and I played an egg shaker, which is a remarkable thing, because I'm not too coordinated.  I kept whacking my mic stand with the egg.  I'm thinking that provided a unique percussive effect.

The message went great.  Towards the end, Brian talked about marriage vows, and the irony of what we often promise compared to the conditional way we often love.  Greatly inspired by a video from NewSpring (thanks to Tony Morgan, but I can't find the link for the clip right now...), we staged a "wedding ceremony" in the middle of the message.  It was fake.  It was funny.I hope to post a video later...

To end, we recapped When Love Comes to Town.  And then we sent 'em home, with a strong encouragement to watch Fireproof this week.

It was a good day.  Thanks to Fred McKinnon for allowing us all to play the Sunday Setlist game - you should check it out!

And now, I'll leave you with a little B.B.....


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing.

It's so neat to see the diversity yet common ground of all these set lists.

Brian C. Hughes said...

It was a crazy day, with all of the rearranging we had to do. We were a little frazzled. But the truth is that the end result was a really good mix of creative, but diverse elements that came from a true team effort. Beth, you found that utube link, which wasn't very good in it's content, but was excellent in it's concept. I was able to see what 'could be' from that and springboard out of it. The synergy worked. And when Sandy and you and me and John made critical decisions, they worked because of the power of the team. Jamie and Tom were both incredible on the stage. The band was into it. The crowd was with us.

But more than all of that, God showed up, met us all where we were and stirred hearts. We helped some people today. Your leadership grows steadily and it is a real privilege to watch, to serve with you, to brag about you as a part of this team, and to know that we actually get to do this job. Even in our diminished financial climate, it's still an incredible blessing.

Great job today - you rock!

Anonymous said...

Totally agree on all your comments about "Because of Your love"! Fun song.

Unknown said...

i have this secret dream of being a bassist or playing drums. Our drummer allows me to play occasional tambourine/shaky things when a song calls for it. so fun!

for once in my life, i'd just love to tear it up musically.......