Friday, February 17, 2012

Sirious Appreciation

"Anxiety weighs down the heart, but a kind word cheers it up."

A few months ago I took the plunge and got an iPhone 4S. In terms of functional technology, it's absolutely one of the best purchases I've ever made.

Plus there's the cool factor. I love my phone; it works, does what it's supposed to do with efficiency.

You may know about Siri, the iPhone's personal assistant. It's a voice-activated command system that I find quite convenient.  

"Siri, look up a number for Hobby Lobby." 

Wait five seconds and a pleasant voice replies, "Here is the closest Hobby Lobby." On the screen appears a map, a phone number and an option to call.

Yesterday I used Siri several times (trying to help my eldest son finish a science fair project. Don't ask.) Every question received a prompt answer, with all the information I need.

I pressed the button and said, "Thank you Siri. Great job."

And she replied, "You're welcome. It's nice to be appreciated."

And I thought: I AM TALKING TO A MACHINE. LIKE A PERSON. AND IT'S TALKING BACK. I AM LIVING IN A BIZARRE UNIVERSE.

I so believe in the power of gratitude, spoken aloud. It's safe to assume that words of appreciation offer grace and something of value to the recipient; at least, most of the time, you tell somebody something good in order to bolster them. It's one of those cases when it truly is better to give than to receive.

Siri responded with appreciation, but it is a phone. She's not real.

But offering those words did something in me; they helped keep my focus on the positive, the blessings, the good stuff.

And that makes for a better day, in the grand scheme of things.

"...the tongue of the wise brings healing." 

 

1 comment:

Brandee Shafer said...

Gratitude is definitely wise. Not always easy, but wise. Worth fighting for. Thanks, Beth! I'm grateful for you! Plus besides you have good hugs!