Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Appreciate: Reverb10

I'll never catch up, so I'm going to just jump back in:

December 14 – Appreciate
What’s the one thing you have come to appreciate most in the past year? How do you express gratitude for it? 

I apologize for hitting on the same theme again, but it's the marriage. I have learned to appreciate the institution of marriage itself; the partnership, the relationship. The give and take and the selflessness required to be married well.

our first month anniversary cake

I have come to realize many things as I have grasped a greater appreciation for a marital partnership. Most importantly, I'm seeing the value of relationships - any and all - in a new way. This is probably partly due to the strengths of my husband in this area, and also because I'm simply functioning in a healthy relationship. Much is required. Much is given. And much is gained.

I express gratitude every day, as best I can, through words and deeds. It's a circular motion that necessitates a daily push. And I'm learning to appreciate the strong marriages I see around me, to pay attention and learn from those who are hanging in there and building something made to last. It matters.

No comments: