Thursday, June 3, 2010

David's Eleventh Birthday

Guess who had a birthday today?

David turned eleven.

I can hardly believe it.

Seems like just yesterday, I was laying on the couch, eating Cheetos and Oreos, processing the fact that I was going to have another baby. Number five.

The timing didn't seem right, but boy, was I surprised. David has brought such joy to our family, and a unique tenderness to me.

His talents are ever-increasing and surprising. He is fiercely loyal. He is a quiet kid, with a deep, thoughtful heart.

It is our family tradition to allow the birthday boy or girl to choose their favorite food for dinner. Each kid has some sort of special request; frankly, most of them choose to go to Grandma's house (because NOBODY cooks like Grandma cooks...) When I asked David what he wanted this year, he replied, "I would like a selection of my favorite meats.  Bacon. Pork chops. And steak. Oh, and some macaroni and cheese."

The boy knows what he likes.

We settled on ONE meat - steak - and Grandma's homemade mac and cheese. It was a good time.

 He was excited. Note the props to Maida Vale, a fine rock and roll band....



Tony gave him some sort of funny card. It had the word 'fart' in it. David loved it, of course.


Oh, yes. A bunch of plastic dinosaur bracelets.

His one specific request was for the Iron Man 2 PSP game. He got it.

I love my son. I love him for who he is, for the person he is becoming. I am shocked at how quickly manhood looms ahead, and I can't say that I like it much.

It goes without saying that motherhood changes you. David's presence in my life has shaped and molded me in powerful ways.

Tonight, we celebrate eleven years of his life and I am grateful.

Happy Birthday, Dave.

1 comment:

Bill said...

Happy Birthday, David!
From:
Ninja Man